Ankeny First United Methodist Church has an informal partnership with Trinity United Methodist Church, 1548 8th Street, Des Moines, with the goal of blending urban / suburban ministries to the benefit of both congregations.
Trinity UMC has been serving the Riverbend community of Des Moines for nearly a century. The church location on 8th street houses a shared ministry with Las Americas Comunidad de Fe and offers a weekly bi-lingual worship celebration in English and Spanish.
In addition, Trinity serves as home to these ministries:
- Children and Family Urban Ministries: This ministry addresses the challenges and builds on the strengths of those living in the near north side of Des Moines.
- Justice for our Neighbors: This is a network in mission of the United Methodist Committee on Relief, Annual Conferences, local congregations and ecumenical partners that operate volunteer-based immigration clinics. For more information about when they offer clinics at Trinity, visit www.iowajfon.org.
Ankeny First is blessed to be able to participate in these outreach opportunities through our partnership with Trinity. Volunteers are active in many activities at Trinity that support the Trinity/Las Americas congregations, and the CFUM and JFON ministries, such as the following:
- Construction and clean-up projects by small groups
- ELL Program
- CFUM Breakfast Club and Supper Club
- Planning/coordination of community Christmas party
- Donation of supplies and financial assistance
- Annual "Spring Clean-Up Day" typically held in April or May
Current Trinity Needs List
- Diapers & baby wipes (especially larger sized diapers)
- Dixie cups and hot cups for coffee
- Bags of rice (not the quick rice)
- Uncooked dry beans (all but white)
- Drink mixes (tang, pink lemonade, etc.)
- $10 grocery store gift cards
- Bottled fruit juices
- Boxes of sugar packets
- Boxes of cereal for the Before School Program (the kids' favorites are: Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Rice Krispies, Captain Crunch, Honeycombs, Sugar Smacks, Honey Nut Cheerios, Kix, Cinnamon Life, and chocolate cereals)
Please place these items in the large designated wooden bin outside the Uptown church office. Thank you!